January 21, 2019
To be eligible to apply you must meet the following criteria:
- Jamaican national or resident;
- Be between 16 and 18 years old in September 2019 at time of entry
- Be at least of CXC CSEC standard, i.e. fifth, or lower sixth form;
- Have an academic record which predicts success in the academic rigours of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma; Minimum 80% average. If in lower sixth form, the majority of your CSEC grades must be a 1
- Have a strong history of co-curricular involvement and community service; and
- Be mature enough to respond to the challenges inherent in living and studying abroad
All application forms are carefully read by a team of objective reviewers - they are all intimately familiar with the UWC movement and are looking for candidates with the potential to thrive in the unique environment of a United World College. Each application form is read by at least three reviewers and between them they draw up a short-list of candidates to interview. Short-listed candidates will usually demonstrate a commitment to community service, personal initiative and academic ability. Please do note that because of the high quality of applications we receive, some strong applications will not be able to be short-listed.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview in Kingston.
The Social Day is a day long group session which gives the panelists a chance to see candidates in a more natural setting. This day consists of games and activites where candidates will be able to familiarize themselves with each other. This is run by alumni who are also able to answer many of the questions you may have and who will facilitate a series of activities in order for us to get to know you better. These activities should also stimulate a lot of discussion between you and your fellow interviewees.
The Parents Meeting
The UWC journey is one for the entire family. It is important that the all parties understand what the UWC programme is before offers are made. This is a mandatory Q and A session for all primary caregivers, held at the same time as the social. At this session parents will find out more details about UWC and understand in more detail about the scholarship allocation process and the various schools. They will have the opportunity to ask any questions. At the end of this meeting, parents will leave with a Ranking Form. This form will outline all the spaces allocated to Jamaica and the percentage scholarships as well as the required contribution for each scholarship. Candidates will be required to bring these forms to the interview the next day.
The Individual Interview
The individual interview will take place in Kingston. This interview is approximately 20 mins long. The selection panel will be led by representatives of UWC Jamaica and will be comprised of alumni and other invited participants who are knowledgeable about the UWC movement. In this interview, you will be interviewed by a group who will ask you questions about your application, your interests and what you hope to gain from a UWC experience. While the interview can feel nerve-wracking, we try to make it as informal and friendly as possible. Remember, we want to interview you, not your nerves, so do try to relax and enjoy the experience for what it is - a chance to meet lots of really interesting people from all over the country and find out more about the UWC movement.
If you have any questions that are not answered in the FAQs then please do not hesitate to get in contact with the National Committee by emailing email@example.com.
Successful candidates are nominated to specific UWC schools and colleges. The schools and colleges generally accept the nominated candidates on the recommendation of the National Committee but reserve the right to make the final decision on every candidate.
Please also note:
- An application is made to UWC and not to a particular school or college (although you may be asked to state your preference)
- Only one application can be made to UWC. You cannot apply through two different National Committees
- Applicants with disabilities who are self-sufficient in their everyday needs are encouraged to apply
- All information provided to the National Committee is held in the strictest confidence and is not shared with any third party. The National Committee maintains a data base of student and parental contact information for the purpose of disseminating important notices, invitations and alumni news.
Filling in the Application form
Applications are done through the online portal that can be accessed via our website at jm.uwc.org.
If you are unable to submit your application electronically you may submit an application by filling in the form below (either by typing or handwriting) and scanning and emailing the form. For any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To fill in the application form:
Create an account at uwc.fluidreview.com
Ensure either your nationality or residency is Jamaica to be eligible. The committee reserves the right to ask for further proof of residency and to reject any applicant that does not meet the residency requirement. If you have any questions re your eligibility do not hesitate to email us.
Once you have filled in the personal information you will see all the applications you are eligible for. You are only eligible to apply to ONE national committee at a time.
You will then choose the UWC JAMAICA Application and click “Apply Now”
You will then see the various components required to complete the application.